Repair Work on Fire-Damaged Apartment in Seattle Exposes Asbestos

An explosion in July sent firefighters to respond to a two-alarm fire. Since then, the apartment's residents may have been living with asbestos in the air.

But according to the contractor in charge of cleaning up the damage and protecting the residents, Ted Sitterley, "[a]ll of our process and procedures have been tested, have been certified by the Department of Labor and Industries and the department of Puget Sound Air Quality." He noted that the asbestos contamination has been limited to areas that are sealed off to protect other residents. It is unclear whether the residents have actually been fully notified of the process, as reports vary.